Friday, September 24, 2004

Songs my mother taught me

Overlooking the cheesy graphics, the obvious improper use of government, and the irritating "health messages," this website Juliana found is really cool. Not only does it have the words and tune to "Do Your Ears Hang Low?", it has quite a selection of other classics.

My mother had an enormous repertoire of songs--or song fragments--on every topic under the sun. We used to make a game of it, trying to come up with a topic and see if she could sing a song about it. She always could. Thus it has always been one of my maternal ambitions to know a large array of songs. But, alas, I actually learned very few of my mother's songs--or if I did, only a small portion of the song.

Now I can begin to remedy that problem. I can toss in songs my grandparents sang to me as well. So from now on D1 can expect to be regaled with "Be Kind to Your Webfooted Friends," "Deep in the Heart of Texas," "Frog Went A-Courtin'," "Shortnin' Bread," "Six Little Ducks," and much more. And I'm sure my whole family will be thrilled to see the complete lyrics to "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas."

No comments: