Thursday, February 10, 2005

Urgency for Evangelism?

Ever felt like if you're not actively out witnessing on a regular basis, there must per se be something wrong with your Christian life? I know I have. For most of my life. And yet my life has never afforded much opportunity to do anything of the sort, and I'm just not that confrontational. Making get-out-the-vote calls is as high-pressure as I can handle, and even then I have to psych myself up for it. Talking to people about their financial future, as DOB does, would be way too much for me. Bringing up their eternal destiny? Sorry, I just can't do it.

So I'm a bad Christian. Or maybe not. The Internet Monk has a new article suggesting that maybe this whole idea that converting the lost is the primary purpose of the Christian life is just plain wrong. Not justified by Scripture. Not conducive to the kind of peace, love and joy that are the fruit of the Spirit. Some people are called to be evangelists, church planters, and missionaries. But it's OK if you're not, and you don't have to feel like you have to make up for it by stuffing tracts under your neighbors' doors.

Maybe if I just love my husband, love my children, do a good job with what I've been given, and answer questions if I receive them, that's all that is asked of me. What a concept.

No comments: