Friday, October 17, 2008

Sleepless

D3 has, quite on her own, started sleeping 10 hours at night. D4 wakes up once in that time for a quick snack. Last night I set them both down in their bed at 9:30, and they smiled, looked around at the world, kicked each other happily for awhile, and fell asleep without a whimper. And they're still asleep.

(I have had enough children to know that this is no guarantee of all future nights being uninterrupted, but it is a pretty good start.)

So why do I sit here, bleary-eyed?

Because I don't know how to sleep through the night anymore. I still wake up at 2 a.m., and without nursing enough babies, I can't seem to get back to sleep. Ever.

This happened with D2, too, although he was 15 months before he started sleeping through the night. DOB suggests I could keep waking them up, but I have to go through this sooner or later and I might as well do it sooner if they want to sleep now.

I hope I don't have to cry it out. That always wakes up DOB . . .

2 comments:

Devona said...

I've felt like Crying it out, myself, a few nights. Unfortunately I'm just like my children and once I get going I just get more and more worked up. Eventually my husband has to wake up and help me settle down anyway. ;)

Rachelle said...

How does the song go..."I'm so tired I just can't sleep." Here's to getting some rest and hoping that these two are great sleepers and it isn't just a phase.