Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Blog Meme About Blogs

I borrowed this from The Common Room.

How did you start blogging?

I signed up with Blogger and started typing. As to why, I don't know. DOB was working late and I was getting hungry, I think. Other people had one. I wanted one. Eventually it took the place of a large group email of my adventures which I used to send out regularly, and was much less trouble to maintain.

Did you intend to be a blog w/a following? If so, how did you go about it?

No. Every once in a while I ask myself, "Do I want to be a blog with a following?" And the answer is "No." Except for when it is, "Sort of, but not really." A blog with a following turns it from being a nice little chatty place where I can do whatever to having social obligations and attracting people (many of whom are Not Nice), and you have to have something to actually say, which I usually don't. And you often have to stick to one subject, which I never do.

What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been successful? If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?
I hope to get myself remembered in my extended family's wills and be able to mooch meals off my old friends when I visit them. I don't know if I've been successful at all these yet or not. But I keep putting up cute pictures in hope.

Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?
I have fewer household catastrophes now. I don't seem to have as much time for them. Also I more deliberately avoid being controversial than I did at first, because I just don't have the time or emotional energy to spare for controversy. (I used to love it, but then I had toddlers.)

What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?
I'm not sure I know it now, but sometimes I stumble across where you can find out what weird searches might have brought people to your site. I always wanted to check that. Not that many people search for weird enough things to come here.

Do you make money with your blog?


No. It does, however, keep me sane, and insanity is expensive.

Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?
Yes indeed. DOB reads this blog, but he seldom reads the other one. My guess is DOB's father and my grandparents are my most faithful readers. The rest of the extended family read fairly often. The ducklings cannot read yet, but they are trying to fix that as fast as they can, and then watch out.

What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?
1. Delete spam. People who introduce themselves by hurling personal attacks at you are spammers and should just be summarily deleted. Don't try to engage them in dialogue, they are not interested.

2. Don't write anything you wouldn't want read at your funeral. Not original advice that, but still worthwhile.

How did you come to name your blog?
DOB has always been the Duke, and discovered it was of Burgundy shortly after we met in person. I have always governed the land of Carrots, and was titled as Queen around the same time. Naturally when we married the lands were ruled jointly; hence the Duchy of Burgundy Carrots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blogging to get free food elsewhere? It's working the other way around. People come to your house to get free food and talk about your blog.

Check the polarity on your internet connection. It may be reversed . . .