Thursday, September 28, 2006

Even more miscellaneous than usual

~*~
We finally got the books on the shelves! They're not on the right shelves, and this is somewhat distressing, but they are there. They are, moreover, no longer in the middle of the living room, for D2 to climb up and fall off of and bonk his head. He has a lovely shiner left from the last stack, though.

~*~
After watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers this past week, I would like to express my fervent gratitude for my in-laws, and my hopes for their long and healthy lives. I am grateful that I don't have to superintend marrying off all of DOB's brothers in order to get out of doing their laundry. (Actually, they're pretty good at doing laundry themselves. They even fold mine sometimes.)

~*~
After watching various other movies, most recently Batman Begins (which was really quite fascinating, much to my surprise), I'm musing over how the ideal of the knight, the Western gunslinger, and the superhero are all at heart essentially the same: a man (usually) who carries the law within him in a world where the structure of law is absent or inadequate. Apparently it's an image with staying power. What I wonder is, is it an essentially Western ideal? Or are there parallels in other countries?

~*~
One thing I don't get about Cincinnati is the weird stuff in the chili--cinnamon? Noodles? Another thing I don't get is corn hole. Corn hole is a game without which no church potluck, family reunion, county fair, or beer garden is complete. For those of you outside of Cincinnati, it involves throwing small stuffed bags at a hole in a wooden target some distance away. That's right, it's a game of beanbag toss. Now, I have no objections to beanbag toss as a game, and the ducklings adore playing with the equipment (although they don't stand at the proper regulation distance from the hole). But I don't understand the obsession. It's a kid's game, people!

2 comments:

the Joneses said...

I think the closest to it might be the Japanese samurai. There is a difference between the knight/samurai and the gunslinger/superhero, though; the knight/samurai has a master to whom he has sworn, while the gunslinger/superhero does not.

--DJ

Devona said...

Ah, Cincinnati.

I am with you on cornhole. It's wierd, and it has a dumb name. And everyone plays it all the time.

Our Akron equlivalent is batchy (sp?) ball, which I also don't understand.

Now, when it comes to Skyline chili, you will grow to love it. I LLOOOOOOVVVEEEEEE Skyline chili.