Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Duckling-isms

One area we focus on with D2 is learning to ask for help in a pleasant voice instead of FREAKING OUT I AM GOING TO DIE NOW BECAUSE MY BISCUIT IS CRUMBLING!!!! Sometimes DOB in particular encourages this by asking, "Where is your smile?" For some reason, D2 responds by pointing to his ear. Once he's pulled it out of there and gotten it back on his mouth, we're good to go.

*************************

I love the way they reverse compound words. For months our bathroom contained a "tub-bath." D2 was looking around for his "Goose Mother" book. D1 is also very PC. When she gets out the red hats, she wants to play "Fire Persons." They also have a few compound words of their own devising, like "yestertime."

*************************

Our laundry and food storage is all in the basement. During the course of the day, I usually need to dash down there for a few minutes at a time to switch laundry, pull food out of the freezer to thaw, etc. No matter how brief my run, a crisis is bound to occur at this point. Yesterday I was scooping out rice when I heard D1 screaming from the top of the stairs, "Mama! Mama!"

Notwithstanding the blood-all-over-the-floor tone, I paused to ask, "What is it?"

"I just wrote my whole name!" she said.

Well, that is an exciting milestone, but why must it happen while I am in the basement? And why can't we reserve that tone for actual blood on the floor?

When I got upstairs she had added the rest of the family members' names to her page, although with Mama and Papa she had the same trouble as the little girl spelling banana--it's hard to know when to stop.

2 comments:

Darren said...

"Yestertime" sounds like a very helpful word.

Steve said...

D2's facial exploration sounds a lot like the game "This is my nose" at the bottom of this page http://www.deepfun.com/car.htm