Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Book Meme: The All-Chesterton Edition

Because the answers to this would be too hard to narrow down if I did all the books I've ever read.

1. One book that changed your life?
The Napoelon of Notting Hill. I doubt it would have that effect on anyone else, but it settled a troubling question in my mind and convinced me I could be a part of life and still write about it.

2. One book you have read more than once?
The Man Who Was Thursday. Also I have seen it performed.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
The Father Brown Omnibus. Enough philosophy and good stories to keep one occupied for a good long while.

4. One book that made you laugh?
Tales of the Long Bow. Pigs really do fly.

5. One book that made you cry?
Cry might be a little strong, but I find "The Ballad of the White Horse" to be particularly moving.

"But you and all the kind of Christ
Are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win
And souls you hardly save.

"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher.

"Night shall be thrice night over you,
And heaven an iron cope.
Do you have joy without a cause,
Yea, faith without a hope?"

6. One book you wish had been written?
The one he never wrote about the man who sailed far away and discovered his own home.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
How could I wish that? There is an occasional remark that is slightly bigoted that I could wish were gone.

8. One book you are currently reading?
None, alas. My books are all packed far away. But I think if I had access to them, I would dip into What's Wrong with the World from time to time.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Four Faultless Felons

2 comments:

Mama Squirrel said...

I love it!--I'll link.

Anonymous said...

We've had The Ballad of the White Horse on our shelf for years. My husband loves it and his enthusiasm has infected my daughters. I keep telling myself to read it, but haven't made the time. It's nice to hear from another fan of the book.