Monday, January 29, 2007

Homemaking Meme

Picked up second-hand, like most of my furnishings.

Aprons – Y/N? If Y, what does your favorite look like?
I either wear an apron or wish I had. The old, grungy, all-over ones get worn day after day while the cute short ones languish in neglect.

Baking – Favorite thing to bake
Biscuits: quick, homey, and not too messy. And I now have a recipe that represents a reasonable compromise between fluffiness and nutrition.

Clothesline – Y/N?
No, but I do have a couple of clothes racks in the basement.

Donuts – Have you ever made them?
We used to always make them for New Year's when I was younger. I've never made them in my own house, though, as I don't have a deep-fryer. Someday I'm going to try a baked doughnut recipe.

Every day – One homemaking thing you do every day
Dishes. Every hour, really.

Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze?
Yes, and I would have a very hard time functioning without it. It's an old one from DOB's parents.

Garbage Disposal – Y/N?
No, No, a thousand times NO! We do not get along. We never have, and we never will. Plus, our current sink has but one hole. We had the garbage disposal taken out and an honest drain put in.

Handbook – What is your favorite homemaking resource?
Well, if it doesn't sound too arrogant, my own head. I like to think about things and figure them out for myself.

Ironing – Love it or hate it? Or hate it but love the results?
I don't hate it, but I wouldn't exactly say I love it. But I can't stand wrinkles, so I do it regardless.

Junk drawer – Y/N? Where is it?
Yes, in the kitchen.

Kitchen – Color and decorating scheme
Carrots, naturally. Right now it's white but I want to paint it celery green.

Love – What is your favorite part of homemaking?
Those aha! moments when I make something new work.

Mop – Y/N?
I plead the fifth.

Nylons – Wash by hand or in the washing machine?
In the washing machine.

Oven – Do you use the window or open the oven to check?
There's a window?

Pizza – What do you put on yours?
Turkey sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, olives.

Quiet – What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
I'd rather read but I usually check the internet because it doesn't require such a commitment.

Recipe card box – Y/N? What does it look like?
No, but I have a random pile of recipes getting bent and spilled upon.

Style of house – What style is your house?
1930sish Cape Cod with mint green siding and white trim. The mint green is definitely not my choice, but I'd rather live with it than change it.

Tablecloths and napkins – Y/N?
Considering how often D2 bonks his head on the table and falls over, tablecloths are definitely not a good idea. Cloth napkins we use, or more often just cheap terry washcloths.

Under the kitchen sink – Organized or toxic wasteland?
I don't like what this question implies.

Vacuum – How many times per week?
1. We only have carpet in the bedrooms.

2. We don't allow food anywhere near them.

3. The carpet is a mottled tan berber that wouldn't show the trackings of the high school football team after a rainstorm.
4. The ducklings periodically decide they are afraid of the vacuum cleaner.
5. None of us are especially fastidious.
6. You guess how often we vacuum.

Wash – How many loads of laundry do you do per week?
Ten to twelve, house on one day, clothes on another, diapers as needed.

X’s – Do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off?
No, but occasionally I make a weekly list and get it done by the end of the month.

Yard – Y/N? Who does what?
We have a yard, which we try to avoid because of the killer swarms of mosquitoes. DOB's brothers mow it when needed.

Zzz’s – What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?
Make sure the bedside water bottles are filled. We're all about proper hydration here.

No comments: