Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Caffeine on IV and other medical oddities

Law students everywhere will be pleased to discover that it is possible to get caffeine administered via IV. The downside is, to get it you have to have what is known as a "spinal headache," which I can assure you is not conducive to bar preparation. Caffeine on IV is also not conducive to getting lots of rest, which is what you are likely to be supposed to be doing after activities that might have given you a spinal headache. It didn't help me much either, so I opted for the patch treatment that fixes the headache right away, but leaves you with a backache.

The whole medical treatment thing tends to build on itself in a This-is-the-House-that-Jack-Built way. This is the medicine to treat your nausea, which was caused by the medicine to treat your pain, which was caused by the other treatment for your pain, etc. By Sunday night, though I had progressed as far as only needing hot rice packs for my back and ice water, which I'm pretty sure don't have any further side effects.

D2, not too surprisingly, had a touch of jaundice, which meant he had to spend Sunday night catching rays at the hospital. I was not at all pleased when my doctor's new partner, whom I have never met, told us by phone we should stop breastfeeding him because of the jaundice. I miss her old partner.

Nowadays when I see someone with multiple body and facial piercings, I think, "Amateur!"

Another thing that is not conducive to rest is coming back in for checkups, for one or the other of us, every day. (Or, while in the hospital, having them check your vitals every few hours. I'm still breathing, OK? Let me sleep.) We should be done after tomorrow, though.

3 comments:

Amey said...

Stop breastfeeding because of jaundice? What's up with that? Hope you have time to actually recover after all the medical professionals are through making sure everything is ok. :-)

Queen of Carrots said...

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out either. (Especially right when the milk is coming in.) So I didn't do it. :-) My regular doctor said she wouldn't have asked it, and the lactation consultant stopped by to say she was glad I didn't.

Meredith said...

We had both the spinal headache and the jaundice, too. Ouch. Take heart and cuddle your new blessing...it was exciting to read the story of his birth!