Tuesday, December 11, 2012

O Christmas Tree

Last year Wondergirl and I made gingerbread cookies with the ducklings and they each decorated a few with the obligatory heaps of inedible candy and then scattered. This year we did it again and they stuck it out to the bitter end. Which means, of course, that all the gingerbread cookies are layered with heaps of inedible candy.  Still, all part of the fun, right? At least I couldn't find the chocolate sprinkles, because those would just be nasty on gingerbread.




Every year since we were first married, DOB has mentioned how he treasures the memory of the large, multi-colored lights on his grandma's Christmas tree. Every year I have ignored this (large multi-colored lights are so tacky!) and put up the tasteful white and gold ornaments I had before we were married. This year, after a friend mentioned that she and her husband have the same disagreement and settle it by alternating years, I realized that it was really most unfair of me to keep monopolizing the Christmas decor. And that the snowflake stuff was getting boring. So the Duchess helped us get colored lights and a few more balls, and my grandmother donated many colorful ornaments from her stash, and we went for full-on, old-fashioned, multi-colored garishness.

And it's beautiful. It's fun and homey and looks just like Christmas trees should look that are meant to serve as Christmas trees and not as decorations in the lobby. There's such a thing as too much good taste. Good thing I like it, because as DOB pointed out, I now owe him nine years of colored lights.

I haven't changed my mind about the candies on the gingerbread cookies, though. But at least I can pick them off before I eat them.

3 comments:

Diary of an Autodidact said...

Ha ha ha. We too have had the light wars. (I like small multi-colored lights. My wife likes small white only. Our compromise is that she gets to do the tree and I get to do the house. I'm at the point where if I want to add any more lights, I need to put them on their own circuit breaker...

Brandy Vencel said...

Our compromise so far has been that I get the white lights, and he gets the crazy, multi-colored (and often homemade!) ornaments. It took some getting used to for me, but I really like the look. Now all we need is one of those trains going around below. :)

Litterairy said...

Yes, but dear Mr. DofanA, we have a compromised tree already because the lights are uniform and the ornaments are varied.