Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What we're up against

The other night we had macaroni and cheese for dinner. It was actually leftover macaroni and cheese, but that did not eclipse its position at the top of the Toddler Food Pyramid. The accompanying peas, usually welcomed, were slighted.

When D3 pushed her plate back for more noo-noos, I pointed out that the peas needed to be all gone first. A few minutes later, she shoved an empty plate across the table. Suspicious, I peered into her bib and discovered she'd deposited all of them in her bib. I poured them back out on the plate and repeated the requirement.

The meal continued as I tended to the other children and chatted with DOB. And then, I noticed to my perplexity, that I seemed to be eating peas with my fingers. I looked down, and there was D3, quietly holding up one pea at a time and murmuring, "Here, mama" while I absent-mindedly picked them up and ate them. Once I noticed it, I realized it had been going on for a considerable time.

"Wait a minute!" I said, "*You* are supposed to eat the peas."

She batted her eyelashes at me.

4 comments:

melissa said...

thanks for the chuckes.:)

Aaron Klein said...

I used to hide lima beans underneath the rim of my plate. Obviously, I didn't plan ahead well back in those days - there was the inevitable ring of lima beans plain as day as soon as the plate got removed.

Wendy said...

ROFL! Brilliant! All you need to do now is make sure she doesn't grow up to be an EVIL genius! D3, use your powers for GOOD!

CappuccinosMom said...

haha. They always turn out to be smarter than we think. :D