Saturday, February 20, 2010

In My Spare Time

I'm trying to find the best way to track the whole variety of resources I use with the ducklings, both for my own benefit (after all, in four years I'll be teaching another class this age) and for general use.

I've found it hard to track down lists of really good books with geographic themes aimed at the younger age group. So I'm starting to track them, along with websites and project ideas, on Squidoo. We'll see how it works, but here is my first try: Around the World in 80 Books. (I hope no one will think that title is deceptive, when I've only got eleven up so far, but I haven't even started on any specific continents yet--by the time I create a lens for each continent, I should have plenty.)

Oh, and if you like it, I'd love to get feedback, links, or ratings! (If you don't like it, I won't be so thrilled.)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I LOVE it! This is the kind of thing I love the internet for: useful hands on ideas with all the hard work done for me, but very adaptable to our needs. Thank you very much!

Queen of Carrots said...

Cool! I've found browsing around that while there are lots of pages of free links and book lists out there, most of them are just info dumps and don't give me much more info than I would get doing a google search myself--certainly not telling me what books are the best reads. I'm not heavy into involved activities like most of the unit-study oriented things are: I want real BOOKS first of all, and then maybe a few open-ended projects to get us going.

So when I find books that satisfy a preschooler topical obsession while withstanding multiple read-alouds, it's nice to be able to share that.

Anonymous said...

So how goes the bar exam (and the taker)?