Monday, November 26, 2007

Prepared

This time, I knew what to do. This time, I was going to be prepared. D2's first trimester had gone better than D1's and this time I wouldn't even be nursing. I had meat and bread and cookies prepared in the freezer. For months in advance I took all the wonder vitamins and herbs that were supposed to forestall nausea. I did all my exercises.

In a worldwide deluge, I suppose having an inflatable life raft and a couple of boxes of crackers would seem helpful for awhile. But we are beginning to feel very much adrift. Apparently the illness experienced during D1's pregnancy was not a fluke caused by unpleasant living circumstances. If anything, I'm rather worse this time; only this time, instead of just having me to drag through the day, I also must supervise two very busy ducklings.

I have tried to remind myself that other women undoubtedly have it worse; that some women throw up for all nine months, or throw up so much that they must go in the hospital and get fluids through IVs. Somehow other people's misery does not diminish mine.

Besides, in the hospital, one would not have to cook food. Or smell food cooking. Or think about food. It's astonishing how much time, on average, I spend thinking about food. One meal is not done before I must think of what must be done for the next one, or two . And I have discovered that the only way for me to keep a meal down is to lie down for several hours afterwards and, with all my might, NOT think about food. (How am I writing this post, you ask? It's before a meal right now, and I find it helps to do what must be done before the meal. I don't feel any better afterward, but the muscles are often tired enough to give me a break.)

Other people are very kind and helpful and come in and do the dishes now and again or watch the ducklings for awhile, but nothing, alas, relieves me of the duty of thinking. DOB has a thorough training in most of the household arts, but he needs orders (and can only stand on his feet for so long). Even ordering out (which I am loath to do--why pay so much for something unlikely to be digested?) requires a decision.

The ducklings are doing their best to manage the house on their own. Yesterday D1 had complete Sunday outfits for both of them laid out before I arose; D2 was trying to put his Sunday pants on, upside down over his pajamas. The house has reached a sort of level of chaos where everything that can be dragged out has been dragged out, so at least it's not getting much worse.

Fortunately the ducklings seldom lack for ideas to amuse themselves; most of these involve piling all bedding, toys and clothes available onto the couch, though the name of the game may be "airplane," "hospital," or "fire engine." Then they jump on top, sometimes singing D1's Toddler Power Song: "We are toddlers, and we can jump on the couch!"

All that happy little advice for morning sickness--"crackers!" "frequent snacking!" "lemon water!" is starting to read like common cold treatments when you have double pneumonia. I try to read to keep my mind off food, but it's astonishing how often the people in books eat. And seem to enjoy it, too. Jerks.

In the interests of counting my blessings, a few notes:
  • I'm in no danger of dehydration or malnutrition. In fact, I'm gaining weight at an alarming rate.
  • We can keep the heat on here. (We couldn't at our apartment when I was pregnant with D1; it poured second-hand smoke.)
  • I never *have* been sick all nine months, and while there may be a first time for everything, I think I can still be reasonably optimistic that by New Year's I may be able to contemplate a meal before I eat it.
  • Wondergirl is coming in three weeks and two days. I hope she can get the door open when she comes.

11 comments:

Carrie said...

Obviously, I cannot even pretend to know what you are going through. On the other hand, wanting to keel over dead these past few days, being unable to talk, let alone swallow, and having a 1 year old want to talk and play and jump and bounce.....gives me a measure of sympathy for you. I'll be sure to remember you when I'm praying. Whenever I'm sick and praying I tend to remember everyone else in the world who is sick and down. Why is that? At any rate, it gives those worse off than myself more prayer support.

the Joneses said...

Sympathy is coursing through my keyboard to your screen! You're entitled to feel miserable. Here's hoping the 13-week mark is all it promises to be!

-- SJ

Queen of Carrots said...

Carrie--you're so right about remembering to pray for others. I've been thinking and praying more about those around me who are sick, especially those in our church who can't look forward to being young and healthy again in three (or nine!) months.

melissa said...

First off...congratulations! I didn't catch the title in the last posting. :)

Hope you're feeling better soon and regaining energy to take care of the first two ducklings. :)

Melissa & Eric

Anonymous said...

Aaccck! I had no idea my departure/arrival was so imminent! I can't see a calendar for the 3-month pile of mail on my desk. Thanks for the countdown. I had better get busy.

Anonymous said...

Are you getting enough vitamin B6? I took a 50 mg B vitamins complex capsule and it helped relieve my nausea during pregnancy. My doctor told me I could take up to 150 mg. a day of B6. That was years ago. I don't know what present recommendations are.

I just found this (the page has other suggestions as well) -

Vitamin B6 - 50 mg. daily. Vitamin B6 has been shown to help with pregnancy induced nausea.

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/pregnancy-nausea.html

Anonymous said...

Here are two sites that may be of interest. The first site emphasizes protein and the link is to a woman's experience with nausea -

http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/faq/how-do-i/morning-sickness/

Scroll down for link to pregnancy diet -

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you, the doctor told me that B6 is a natural diruetic and I found that to be true. Worked well to get keep off the edema I had on my ankles during pregnancy.

This site mentions the diuretic aspect of B6 -

"Women, in particular, may find B6 a useful addition to their diet. B6 is a natural diuretic. This fact may explain, in part, B6’s effectiveness with carpal tunnel syndrome and pre-menstrual syndrome. Both these conditions are worsened by water retention. Oral contraceptives use can also create an increased need for B6. Morning sickness can be eased with the use of B6 but it is recommended pregnant women check with their doctor before beginning a program of prolonged use."

http://www.usatf-niagara.org/RussEbbetts/VITAMINB6.htm

I've read the B vitamins should be taken in a complex lest an imbalance be caused, though for myself I wouldn't be afraid of taking extra B6 short-term if I needed to.

Wendy said...

Ouch! My prayers and sympathy are with you. Nothing seemed to work for very long for me with the nausea. Ginger worked for a while and almonds and dried apricots worked for a while. Skipping my prenatal vitamin helped the most!

One thing that did help was to plan meals only once a week. I just wrote down breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all 7 days. Painful when pregnant but it relieves the constant food think.

It worked well enough when pregnant that I still do it.

Not that it helps now (unless you have a really good day!), but the last time I learned I was pregnant, I knew I had 1 week until the nausea hit. I inventoried the deep freeze and planned out all the meals for 3 months. Insane? Sure! Did we follow it to the letter? No. But I didn't have to figure out what I needed to make for the whole time I felt sick!

Queen of Carrots said...

I actually have a regular four-week meal rotation that I usually follow religiously.

Unfortunately right now the mere act of pulling out the menus and looking at them is too much for me. Or even remembering that I have them.

Fortunately we have some very, very kind friends and relations.

Meredith said...

I'm sorry you're feeling so terrible.