Saturday, June 29, 2013

Blog Readership

 . . . is down by one today. But since it's my grandma, it is a big one.

Grandma makes me regret ever saying, or thinking, that it is an insignificant epitaph to be a faultless housekeeper. Because she was, and it was significant. Her house was always a place of refuge and serenity and beauty. And dinner rolls mostly made of air, and quilts that were a family history in stitches, and delicious but strange tuna salad. She loved watching baseball and partisan politics.

The thing I think I learned the most from her, though, was a deep respect for the personhood of little children. She loved children, but she was not the type to pounce or coo or demand kisses. She insisted firmly that no child ever be forced to give hugs or kisses (she never lacked for volunteers). She listened to them seriously and talked sympathetically. She always kept the chest of toys and the stack of books ready. And when her eyesight grew too poor to read the books to the ducklings, she would listen while they read them to her.

7 comments:

mamatigerj said...

I am very sorry for your loss.
You and your family are in my prayers.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. She sounds like a very special person. I have been meaning to leave you a comment for a long time. I really enjoy both of your blogs. You provide a lot of inspiration and good book recommendations. I'll be forever grateful for the introduction to Chesterton.

Brandy Vencel said...

My sympathies, QoC. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman!

Darren said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Karen. But what a marvelous tribute. Thank you.

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry, I'll pray for you and your family.

treeby said...

Karen,
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. When my Dad passed away, much was said about what a gentleman he was, which I appreciated in a whole new light after it was presented. Your Grandmother sounds like a wise, kind woman, and we need more of those for sure! It was wonderful to hear about her housekeeping skills and the serenity it provided. My condolences to you and your family.

Missy Luna said...

What a lovely person your Grandmother must have been. You have presented a charming and wise vignette of her life.