Thursday, December 09, 2010

Uphill Both Ways

So about a month ago we had a little stomach bug run through the kids, not a huge deal although it did seem a bit much coming right on the heels of a big legal-education-project thingy for the grownups.

Then just as everyone was getting better from that and I was all set to get things back to normal, we had a big snowstorm that knocked everything out of commission until Thanksgiving. Then D1 had a regression of the stomach flu. Then we thought she was better.

Then she was suddenly much worse again, and got dehydrated to the point of complete listlessness, which if you know D1 is a shocking sight indeed. But she finally started to improve again, and then it took me several more days to begin to feel human again. Tending to sick children takes out of me all the things I don't have enough to spare of anyway, especially when it's administering tiny doses of fluids around the clock.

So Monday was the first day I started to feel decent, started to work and do school with the kids again. We've had a few social/professional events I've managed to sneak away and attend in all this. I was still pretty tired, but things were beginning to come back together.

Then today D4 started throwing up again. I have NO IDEA what is going on. The doctor we took D1 to thought it might be her system still unbalanced from the former illness and prescribed probiotics. I don't know where it's going to hit next or if that was the end of it. I do know I'm very, very tired of holding one cranky small person while trying to keep the other three fed and occupied.

I don't even want to THINK about how close Christmas is.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh my. That does NOT sound like fun at all! We will pray that this is the end of it for you all and that D4 heals quickly and fully!

the Joneses said...

Oh, dear. I wanted to ship you a pre-paid nanny on the spot. So sorry.

Juliana said...

Have you tried catnip and fennel?

Queen of Carrots said...

Not so far--in what form and at what stage?

Rachelle said...

I'm praying and that sounds trite. But I completely commiserate and found out on my roughest day that a friend had been praying for me that day without even knowing what our household was going through.